Denka Company Limited (headquarters: Chuo-ku, Tokyo; president: Manabu Yamamoto; hereinafter “Denka”) hereby announces that on August 21, 2017 it had completed the process of acquiring 100% of the shares of Icon Genetics GmbH (headquarters: Halle, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany; CEO: Kazuyuki Hiruta; hereinafter “Icon”).
As previously announced on August 7, 2015 via a press release titled “Announcement of Acquisition of Shares (Ownership) in Icon Genetics GmbH, a German Bio-pharmaceutical R&D Company,” Denka signed an agreement with Nomad Bioscience GmbH (headquarters: Munich, Germany; CEO: Prof. Dr. Yuri Gleba; hereinafter “Nomad”), the parent company of Icon, with regard to the transfer of all Icon shares held by Nomad to Denka. Under an agreement mandating the share transfer to be undertaken in two separate rounds, on August 20, 2015, Denka acquired 51% of Nomad’s Icon holdings, making Icon its subsidiary, and, on August 21, 2017, Denka acquired the remaining 49% shares. Denka has thus completed the process of making Icon a wholly owned subsidiary.
Currently, the Denka Group is utilizing magnICON®, a technological platform created by Icon, in the development of norovirus and seasonal influenza vaccine production technologies, with the aim of delivering novel solutions that will replace conventional technologies. The Group also uses this platform in the manufacture of antigens used in diagnostic reagents.
Having positioned the healthcare field as a growth driver supporting the expansion of its specialty businesses, the Denka Group will concentrate its management resources in this field and thereby accelerate the development of next-generation products.
In addition, the impact of the aforementioned share acquisition is reflected in operating results forecasts for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2018.
Outline of Icon
|(1) Name||Icon Genetics GmbH|
|(2) Location||Halle, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany|
|(3) Name and title of representative||Kazuyuki Hiruta, CEO|
|(4) Details of business||Research and development, contracted research and provision of services for biopharmaceuticals|
|(5) Capital||EUR 25 thousand|
|(6) Date of incorporation||1999|
|(7) Stockholding ratio||100% owned by Denka|